- 1 Why do Asthma Cough at Night?
- 2 9 Effective Home Remedies For Asthma Cough at Night
- 2.1 1. Eucalyptus Oil
- 2.2 2. Mustard Oil for Asthma Cough Night
- 2.3 3. Evening primrose oil
- 2.4 4. Ginger For asthma cough at night remedy
- 2.5 5. Coffee for Asthma Relief
- 2.6 6. Omega-3 fatty acids:
- 2.7 7. Dried Figs For asthma cough at night remedy
- 2.8 8. Sitting Straight
- 2.9 9. Mullein Nighttime Asthma Home Remedies
- 2.10 There are few other techniques discussed below and can help you against asthma:
- 3 How Do You Get Rid of Asthma Without an inhaler?
- 4 Create Your Own Supplement Plan: Do’s and Don’ts to Remember
Do you sleep comfortably during night? Do you cough at night or are you awakened by your child’s wheezing and coughing during night time? If the answer to all these questions is yes to any of those above, you have come to the right place. Uncontrolled asthma makes it quite difficult for a child and family members to have a sound sleep. There are many causes of asthma cough at night that are discussed below:
- Sinuses draining
- Hormonal changes
- Increased airway resistance due to airways narrowing during your sleep
Why do Asthma Cough at Night?
In many cases, you would experience asthma symptoms at an increased rate during your sleep. Night time cough, wheezing and forceful breathing are most common symptoms and even dangerous for one’s health. Sleep may cause changes in the bronchial functioning, the outside temperatures and hormone secretions may be deduced as the reason for the asthmatics to cough at night time.
As per few studies, seventy percent of deaths and eighty percent of respiratory arrests caused by asthma occur during nocturnal hours. It’s mostly seen that many people understand that severe symptoms are most commonly associated with the increased risk of death.
The airways tend to get narrow during sleep that may cause increased blood flow resistance. This can be a main trigger to night time coughing that can further cause tightened airways.
What to do when asthma stops you from sleeping?
- Firstly, sit up straight and take your inhaler, as prescribed. It’s always best to keep your inhaler next to your bed so that you don’t have to search it in the middle of the night when you have a problem.
- Some people find propping themselves up with extra pillows helps as it allows your lungs to open up more fully when you breathe.
- Try to adjust the temperature of the room as per your comfort if in any case your asthma is made worse when the air in a room is too hot or too cold.
- A glass of water or a cup of herbal tea, such as peppermint or chamomile, can help ease a dry throat.
9 Effective Home Remedies For Asthma Cough at Night
This is to be known that there are many medical prescriptions for asthma treatment, here are some natural/home remedies to treat asthma Cough that can help you get rid of asthma symptoms:
1. Eucalyptus Oil
One of the best nighttime asthma home remedies is through eucalyptus oil. Add few drops of eucalyptus oil in a hot water bowl and take steam. The process is known to open up the nasal blockages in order to facilitate easy breathing.
2. Mustard Oil for Asthma Cough Night
Camphor and mustard oil mixture can help you get rid of the asthmatic condition. Warm the mustard oil mixture and massage it all over the chest. The warm oil ensures to trap heat and warmth by providing an immediate relief in your condition.
3. Evening primrose oil
This natural oil contains fatty acid (GLA)that can have positive anti inflammatory effect. The oil is commonly used to treat skin conditions but it may also help in airway passages for a comfortable breathing. It’s available in capsule form.
4. Ginger For asthma cough at night remedy
Ginger acts as an anti inflammatory drug and offers multiple benefits for your body and health. It’s also considered as a superfood and is very effective against asthma. Add pomegranate, honey and ginger in equal proportions and consume it 2-3 times a day to get beneficial results.
5. Coffee for Asthma Relief
Coffee is one of the best known beverages all around the world and the caffeine helps in asthma treatment. It clears nasal passage allowing to breathe easily. In case you are the one who is not up for coffee then go for a black tea and ensure to limit the intake upto 3 cups a daily.
6. Omega-3 fatty acids:
Omega-3 fatty acids are helpful to treat approximately every condition including heart disease, depression, seasonal allergies, in addition to asthma.
7. Dried Figs For asthma cough at night remedy
Dried figs are the best and can act as an effective home remedy for asthma. Soak dried figs overnight in water. Eat them empty stomach in the morning and ensure to drink the residual water.
8. Sitting Straight
Sitting upright straight and maintaining a perfect posture can help open up your air passage that allows you to breathe easily and efficiently. Avoid lying down as it can interrupt your breathing.
9. Mullein Nighttime Asthma Home Remedies
Mullein can be commonly found as a sidewalk weed on vacant lots and overgrown yards. It can be found as an herbal tea for respiratory irritation and is also known as antimicrobial and antispasmodic for coughs.
There are few other techniques discussed below and can help you against asthma:
- Belly breathing technique
Carefully concentrate on your breathing. Its must that you should breathe slowly through your nose. This technique of belly breathing can maximize the air distribution inside your lungs. You can lie down or sit straight. When you inhale your abdomen should go out as opposed to your chest. Exhale slowly with your abdomen pushing inward. Ideally exhalation should be twice as long as inhalation.
- Buteyko breathing exercise
This buteyko breathing technique perfectly aims at consciously reducing either breathing rate or breathing volume. The method involves sitting upright with a belly and chest muscles when you are breathing. Breathe through your nose gently with a closed mouth. Breathe slow and shallow. Try to exhale slowly till the time it seems that here is no air left in the lungs. Hold your breath as long as possible and then again revert to a gentle breathing.
- Pursed lip breathing technique
One of the most helpful techniques during an asthma attack. As air is trapped in your lungs during an attack so this helps get more air out and make breathing easier. It involves inhaling slowly through the nose and then exhaling through pursed lips, or exhaling slowly.
How Do You Get Rid of Asthma Without an inhaler?
First of all, always keep your inhaler with yourselves and still in any case you are without an inhaler then please do not panic. Handle the condition calmly and there are few things that can help you get rid of asthma without an inhaler .
- Maintain your best posture. Sit upright and stop whatever you are doing. Just remember sitting upright.
- Take deep and long breaths. The process helps to slow down your breathing and prevent hyperventilation.
- Try staying away from the known triggers/allergens that can harm you.
- Take a hot caffeinated beverage i.e coffee or black tea
- Emergency medical assistance is a must.
Create Your Own Supplement Plan: Do’s and Don’ts to Remember
Here’s the list of Do/Don’ts in order to get rid out of asthma cough in the night
- Do a careful review clinical studies of any supplement you are considering
- Do a proper research for manufacturing processes, 3rd party tests, and brand reputation as well
- don’t assume that expensive supplements are more effective than reasonably priced supplements
- don’t try introducing more than one supplement at a time
- do prepare notes in terms of what you notice and how a particular supplement affects you